Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lift me Up






One of the anxieties I faced in skiing again after 23 years was my age and my lack of skill. I remember some very embarrassing things happening the first time I went skiing involving getting on and off tow ropes and chair lifts. Needless to say, age and pride were not looking to be my friends this trip.

Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Ps. 71:17


However, my desire to get to the top of the mountain, and my faith in help from my husband and God, I was able to overcome the fears that I had about the endeavor. It was wonderful to get my nose cold, maneuver my tips out of a cross before taking a tumble, and having some success getting down 3.5 mile green run the second day without any falls. I got my rhythm and started to have fun. But believe me that these scriptures crossed my lips numerous times:

Hasten, O God, to save me;
O Lord, come quickly to help me...

or
Do not let my foot slip!

I did not wait until the seventh day to rest. I stayed in my jammies the third day until 11:00, only to get into a jacuzzi. After a soothing muscle treatment I had a big bowl of cereal, did some reading, and took a long winter's nap under a luxurious throw.

The fourth morning my camera and I caught the shuttle to downtown Park City. We found some wonderful mixes of bright store fronts and awnings heavy with icicles and snow. It was a good mix of time with friends, and time by myself, plus creative time with the camera.


Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
til I declare your power
to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
Your righteousness reaches to the skies.
Psalm 71:18-19

No comments: