Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sources of Power



While I was out in the country shooting snow scenes I came upon this windmill. As I focused I realized it was aligned with a drilling tower. Both were about harnessing power; one wind and the other gas. They have to make a connection with their source in order to produce energy.

Just because we are connected to our 'Source' does not mean that we will be rich, healthy, or guaranteed a problem free life. Those very problems mature us and give us focus to discover our weaknesses and strengths, our need for God; our purpose in life.

Four of the most beautiful books of the Bible were written by Paul while he was in prison in Rome. Such love and encouragement poured out of him through the letters and testimonies written to the early churches. He was able to be full of joy even through the circumstances of being in chains and facing his eminent death.

It brings to mind how much I complain, whine, or criticize events or persons in my life. My source of power, Jesus, helps me to grow in my faith that He is with me, even though I may struggle and suffer. No matter what my circumstances, I know He never leaves me. He is my strength and hope.

I am going to make a genuine attempt to reduce my complaining and whining during Lent. Instead, I want to focus on expressing joy and encouragement, smiling at strangers, practicing humility and compassion, and rejoicing in all circumstances. My source of power is there to help me do it. I will trust Him and stay plugged in. Will you join me?

~~~~

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
Phil. 2:1-2

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe...
Phil. 2:14-15

No comments: