Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Without Grumbling



Our pastor talked last Sunday about serving without grumbling. I have been focusing on that task for the last couple of days. I love to do little things for people. I like to surprise someone who is not expecting it with a little gift or encouragement. So you would think that this would not be a problem for me. However, sometimes I find myself in positions of necessary service that are painful and cost a great deal emotionally and financially. And I find myself GRUMBLING!

Sometimes hospitality and giving grace are causes for us to suffer. But in the midst we can rejoice that His glory is being revealed. We also know that if we are insulted because of the name of Christ, we are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on us. (1 Pt. 4:12)

~~~

I set this table pictured above to remind myself of the gift of hospitality and grace I am called to give to others. The tablecloth and metal vase I found at garage sales. The ceramic vase was on clearance at Walgreen's. The stunning goblets were a gift from my wonderful Colorado friend. I dare say that anyone who sat and was served would feel special. Isn't that what serving is about? It costs us something, and it is God working through our gifts to single out and let others know that they are precious. I think I will serve my husband some homemade peach cobbler (made from peaches my friend Lynne grew!) on a fancy dish when he gets home today.
~~~~~

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen
1 Peter 4:7-11

No comments: