Monday, September 27, 2010

Asking Big






Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us...
Eph. 3:20
~~~~~~~

Do we really believe this? Do we let our imaginations fly and our dreams go wild when we ask? We limit ourselves so much, often believing that we will not get what we ask for. We know, if we are honest with ourselves, we do not want to work for those things we dream. We stop short of the leaps of faith that engage us in courageous and outlandish pursuits and astonishing victories. We settle for the mundane because we do not ask for and work for something bigger.

To be sure, I don't get everything I ask for. I wanted to see moose and bears in the North Cascades of Washington State last week. Didn't. Saw incredible turquoise lakes, beautiful waterfalls, bountiful vineyards and orchards. My basket was full of harvest even without the bears.

Then came Mt. Rainier. We were on a 7 1/2 mile hike up Mt. Rainier. As the trail grew in elevation and difficulty, and the temperature dropped, I sent my husband on to finish and turned at an intersection to take a different trail through wildflowers down to the Paradise Inn. I could catch my breath and take pictures of the wildflowers at my leisure. To be sure, it was still quite a trek to go as far as I did.

We had heard earlier that there were bears sighted at a different trail. It was not the one I was on. Nonetheless, I prayed, "Jesus, you know my heart. I SO want to see a bear here. I am so thrilled to be here in this glorious place. Thank you for making all things come together for us to be able to come see this place. I love you..."

As I neared the Inn, I saw a small crowd. Since I had seen a deer in the parking lot that morning I assumed they were seeing deer. When I got closer I could see that they were watching a black bear and her cub. WOW! I was invigorated and decided not to go inside. I turned around and started down a small .3 mile hike to Myrtle Falls. The autumn colors were fantastic, and I knew Eric would not be in for awhile from his continued hike higher up the mountain. As I neared the Falls there was a brown black bear up on the hillside. As I followed him with my lens he ran in and out of view. Then he stopped and stood up. I have seen many bears in my travels, but only one other light-colored black bear. I have NEVER seen one stand up! I was giddy in thanking God for this gift.

I don't believe that prayers should be a shopping list of 'I wants'. However; I believe that we are to ask boldly and joyfully. God loves all his kids; but I think being a parent myself, that He delights in grateful kids. That attitude of gratitude keeps my heart pointed with great expectancy to joyful pursuits. I get to come home and offer praises back to God through my blog to encourage you all to ask big!

No comments: