Monday, February 4, 2008

One Thing Every Day

I raise my eyes toward the mountains.
Where will my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth. Ps. 121:1-2




I heard a quote this morning that was attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt:
"Do one thing every day that scares you."
Does that statement give you the shivers like it does me? What a prescription for living life fully, out from under the jailer named 'Fear.'

A few people asked me why I was going skiing again after 23 years, and at the age of 55. I might answer the question with, "Because I am scared, but really want to do it again, and am not going to let fear stop me." Believe me, at the top of the mountain facing 3.5 miles to the bottom, I was scared and excited. When I made it to the bottom without a fall, I was on cloud 9.

Here is a partial list of things I've done in my life that scared me, but am grateful God provided courage for walking them out:

~getting married
~having children
~raising children
~finding a way to go to college
~getting jobs
~taking steps to follow my dreams
~getting out of unhealthy relationships
~being present in good ones
~staying with a person when they were dying
~going to the doctor or dentist
~having surgeries
~having blood drawn
~setting boundaries
~holding boundaries
~going on hot air balloon ride (twice!)
~sliding down a mountain on two sticks =(-:
~going to Paris all by myself
~learning how to do new things on the computer
~believing God
~walking out my faith, telling people about Jesus

He did not give us a spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: