Saturday, February 9, 2008

Sweating Blood



As I walked under the thorny mesquite trees in my friend's yard I felt as if I had been transported in my spirit to the Mount of Olives. I had already been thinking about the crown of thorns when I saw these red berries that reminded me of Jesus praying alone before his arrest. They appeared like drops of blood dropping to the ground. I imagined the disciples all fallen asleep instead of keeping watch, and Jesus wrestling with God: "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel came to strengthen him to walk out the impending arrest, judgment, scourging, and crucifixion. Scripture says he was exhausted by sorrow.

A footnote in the NIV says there is a phenomenon called 'hematidrosis' where the actual mingling of blood and sweat can occur in the cases of extreme anguish, strain or sensitivity. Yes, I think this situation of Jesus in Gethsemane would apply, don't you?

Yet, when they came to arrest him, there was one with Jesus who rose to his defense by cutting off the ear of the servant of the high priest. Jesus touched the man's ear and healed him. In spite of what lay ahead, Jesus was not self-centered, but God-centered and fortified.

Terrified about something? Sweating blood? Dear ones, there will be suffering.
We, as God's children, can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.
He grows us to be more than conquerors.

No comments: