Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Banquet Table




I got to take a break from church, family, and work activities to dive into a craft project yesterday morning. I was searching for some green cone thread to edge a sheet to use for a tablecloth when I found some fabric marked down to $1.50 per yard. It was such a happy and perfect print for some green and blue dishes I found at a garage sale a month ago. Two yards was enough to make the tablecloth and edge a few napkins. My friend Jim taught me that just the simple addition of a cloth napkin enriches a meal with a touch of elegance. It doesn't have to be complicated.

Setting a beautiful table is such a gift to your guests, and even yourself as you serve food in a table scape. It affords, in this fast-paced world, a time to share a meal sort of wrapped up as a whole present. It really does not take much longer to set out than throwing plastic or paper plates on the table. Really.

I came upon two gluten-free suggestions for teriyaki marinade. I miss Kikkoman teriyaki terribly, but it uses wheat in processing. So I set about combining some ingredients and came up with a winner to make some teriyaki steak on the grill for dinner. I did baked potatoes and carrots in the crock pot and put together a simple salad.

It was so nice to be able to lead my husband to the table and serve him the courses on this table. I wanted him to know, through this setting and food preparation, how much I love and appreciate him. His financial provision and hard work cover me to be able to do other things for family, friends, and church community. My serving others through my gifts also waves a comforting banner of love over those I serve in the name of Jesus.

~~~~~~~

The Song of Solomon can, in part, be understood as the love relationship between God and his children. He leads us, His love, to a banqueting table. Can you but imagine how it is set? What overload of the senses through abundance of wonderful food, color, taste, and not the least; knowing we are under the banner of His love. When we take the time to set a beautiful table we are giving a gift of time, service, and a banner that reads they are cared for. Don't we all need that?

~~~~

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love (for love waved as a protecting and comforting banner over my head when I was near him).
Song of Solomon 2:4

No comments: