Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mirror, Mirror



I have always loved the colors blue and yellow together. I remember picking blue and yellow wildflowers out in the pastures of Nebraska, and arranging them in small bouquets stuffed into a small jam jar. I also found the color combination in beautiful fabric prints I discovered while motoring through Provence, France.

But this scene has got to be one of my favorite blue and yellow memories. We were driving around hunting for smaller roads that might lead us to a hidden treasure such as this. We could see through breaks in the trees what seemed to be water. The adventure continued as we tried to find an opening to see the promising panorama. The view of the slim, taller than you can imagine, aspen trees stretching into the blue sky, and seeming to reach for us in the mirrored image across the lake, was one of those visual blessings that I will forever cherish. It was as if they were holding God's hand in heaven, and reaching out for ours across the water.

*****

When I look at myself in the mirror these days I see the reflection of some older woman with crow's feet, sagging neck, and graying hair! I know that inwardly I am being daily renewed to reflect my beautiful Jesus. So, I choose not to lose heart by what my eyes see; but fix them on what is eternal. (2 Cor. 4:16-18) It is interesting how we are more able to reflect God's image when we are less concerned with our own. Holding God's hand and reaching out for others is what He sees as Beauty.

6 comments:

karen said...

"It is interesting how we are more able to reflect God's image when we are less concerned with our own."

Love that. Picture rocks, too.

kc bob said...

I always have to remind myself that it is the invisible things of life that eternal.. hard when I am so outwardly oriented :)

... Paige said...

Awesome photo and the way you describe the feeling of the view. thanks.
here by way of Karen

Bar L. said...

This is so true and a good reminder.

Connie said...

Hey gang,
thanks for the comments...
will come visiting all of you!

Missy said...

These colors speak God's creation, don't they? Thanks for reminding me what God finds beautiful!