Friday, October 5, 2007

On Track




This morning I finished the last of 200 napkins I have been sewing for my daughter's wedding next month. The track from the first to last was long, including miles of thread and two breakdowns of the sewing machine. But starting and persevering were the keys to getting to the finish line. It is not my nature to do a little work on any given project, and set it aside. I wanted to finish them all in one day. Impossible!


This effort was a good reminder about building skill and letting go of perfection. I remember an instructor in massage therapy school saying that after working on a thousand bodies your hands will begin to know what they are doing! When napkin "200" stood proudly finished on my kitchen counter, I had no doubt about how to efficiently sew, starch, fold, and box these napkins!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3




No comments: