Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Meditation on a Moose




We had prayed to see a moose on our girl trip, so we were thrilled when we rounded the corner to see this incredible guy at the side of the road. Friend Les at the wheel was well-acquainted with the habits of Colorado wildlife. She had cautioned me before about how fast a moose can move; but I was still taken by surprise at the quick mental and physical process he went through of choosing to charge us or retreat down the steep mountainside. Thankfully, he turned and picked up speed so much that he was but a blurry mass easily maneuvering the steepness of his escape route. His diminuative backside was quite a contrast to the massive shoulders and rack we encountered but a short distance from the car a few moments before.

I thought about how we all will find huge, dark, dangerous things in the middle of our paths at points in our lives. But those very things, passed, will have added a depth and maturity to our journeys. They will grow our faith and compassion, teach us perseverence, and give us witness to encourage others and extend to them the hope of conquering the huge darkness which seems impassible.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Oh, I have so wanted to see a moose since I arrived in the north - how exciting! You've given me a great image for living out James 1:2-3 "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance."

Just picturing a moose on the run should give me a grin, at the very least. :)

Connie said...

Missy I pray for you that God will give you the desire of your heart to see a moose...they are so weirdly beautiful! God did some funky knitting together of funny looking creatures! Pelicans are one of my favorites,also!

karen said...

Lovely! What a magnificent creature. I got to see one way far away one time. It was still magnificent!