Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Blue Poinsettia


I am amazed when I see a flower bloom in a new color. I have been drawn to photograph roses that looked black, silver, or lime green; and lately I succumbed to buying a blue poinsettia. I am not sure if it was grown, dyed, sprayed, or just how it arrived at its color. All I know is that I like it. I can tell you by looks that I get not everyone thinks it is pretty. Maybe pretty odd, "silk??"; or nothing spoken at all accompanied by rolling eyes.

I remember reacting negatively to some green catsup a few years ago. Catsup is supposed to be red. Poinsettias are supposed to be red. No wearing white shoes certain times of the year. No mixing gold and silver, although there is a current trend to do exactly that. I guess I use color to illustrate how much we get in the box with certain expectations of how things are supposed to be. We can even become legalistic with color.

I imagine that some of my free spirit is because of the right brain artist thing. But I imagine my mind will be totally blown each time I get to see another dimension of God when I am in heaven. A blue poinsettia will be pretty mundane. I suspect that when we experience something out of this world we may be getting a small spiritual preview of that thing we cannot wrap our minds around, about whom we cannot lean unto our own understanding.
That would be GOD, OUT OF THE BOX.

5 comments:

karen said...

It is pretty....and I know you love BLUE!!!

Connie said...

Karen,
Would you get one if they came in PURPLE? I would get one for you.
{c;

Missy said...

Haha! I was thinking with all the snow and freezing temps here, everyone would think my poor poinsettas were cold! Those are cool.

karen said...

Puuuuurrrrrple......yummmmm!

Connie said...

Well it is so frosty cold here this morning that all the poinsettias might turn blue and purple!