Saturday, December 15, 2007

Reflection on Giving



This mirror in my front hall reflects red jingle bells. Somehow a bell ringing at Christmas just gives a feeling of lightness and childlike wonder. As I get mired down in lists, errands, expenses, commitments, the season takes on heaviness and I let those things steal my joy. Actually, I give the joy away as I try to achieve getting things done and checked off my list, and rushing to that perfect holiday.

There was a time in my life that I had to practice saying "NO" in the mirror. I figured if someone asked me to do something then it meant I was supposed to do it. I didn't want to disappoint others, and wanted them to like me, so found myself doing lots of things I didn't enjoy for all sorts of wrong reasons.

I find, especially at Christmas, that unrealistic expectations can get me in lots of trouble. My greatest joy in these last few years has been to give several gifts to people that don't expect one. Sometimes they are even given in ways that the person does not know who was responsible for the gift. The joy of giving something done in secret is its own reward. The funny thing is that it covers up the giver in delight and blessing as much or more than the recipient. It tilts the world system of lists of expensive, expected wants and must haves.

Don't get me wrong...I love giving presents to my family and cooking traditional holiday things for them. But I find myself yearning for simpler times and ways of giving and being together. I have found glimpses through a few practices.

I highly recommend:
1. Giving an unexpected gift to someone God leads you to bless.
2. Giving yourself the gift of a block of time with a friend or loved one.
3. Saying "NO" as a complete sentence in response to something you really do not want to do, and does not bring you joy.

It is very freeing, and you may find yourself, like me, delighting in the childlike wonder of Christmas again.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Connie, thanks for this excellent post. I think I will try to take you up on those recommendations. I've noticed how my inability to say "No" takes away the joy and even the ability to say "Yes" to the things and people I love. Giving is a blessing.

karen said...

You got that, sistah.

I said "no" the other day. It was cool.

Surprise gifts...amen....I opened the utility supply closet at the church where I'm working...there in the midst of dropcloths and paint was a lovely card and beautiful box...sitting there...for ME! I was so surprised! Someone had left something for ME!!