Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Missy





Sometimes I will be sitting at the computer late in the afternoon with one eye on the horizon, watching for the makings of a beautiful sunset. My husband, at the other end of the house, will hear my rushed goodbbye as I tear out of the house with my camera. I will usually scream with delight something like: "It's gonna be a good one!" or "Gotta hurry, it's turning into a winner!"

I found, after a few breathless sprints around corners, that it was more prudent and fruitful to just jump into the car and do the route through the neighborhood to get to an open space by the creek. After taking these pictures I looked over my shoulder to make a mental note of the street name. I had to laugh...the street sign, with lovely clouds behind it looking toward the east, announced "Missy Lane."
I could imagine how much my blog friend would have enjoyed standing there on her namesake street watching a Texas sunset! She yearns for her previous earthly home.

I get similar tugs at my heartstrings when I receive pictures of the wildlife outside of my friends' home in Colorado. I just want so badly to be instantly transported to go to my 'other' home. I miss the smells, the birds, the wildlife, the mountains, and my buddies. It is a sanctuary for me.

In my Bible study last night Beth Moore made the point that we are really only here on the Earth for such a short time. In her video she remarked that this life is just a breath...the suffering here is short and the only amount we will have. She encouraged us to run the race. Our heavenly dwelling place awaits. Talk about a sanctuary!

I believe those yearnings to be other places on our planet is just a shadow of the true yearning our souls have to go be with our Father in his courts. We have experienced snippets of intimacy and beauty with the Lord through friends and creation at these places on our journey. They have made a deposit in our hearts. We cannot help but hunger for more! It is God himself that he has made us to crave:

One thing I ask of the Lord,
this is what I seek;
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
and to seek him in his temple. Ps. 27:4


...let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
Remember the wonders he has done...Ps. 105:3-5

4 comments:

karen said...

You're on a roll, too! Very nice!

karen said...

...and I miss missy. . .

Missy said...

I miss you too Karen - and I can't wait to meet Connie some day.

This made me cry! Two of my favorite things: the Texas sky and being the center of attention for a moment. :)

Thanks, Connie. You are a blessing.

Connie said...

Yes, K & M, we must have a date to watch a sunset on Missy Lane one of the times you come to visit Texas!