Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Blessing for Mothers




As one looks at the promise of a new child ( as I am doing in anticipating my next grandbaby in August) it is fun to think of the first year of life in passing on and including a new life in the family circle of traditions, holidays, values, and loving each other.
~~~~~~~

...do not forsake your mother's teaching...it will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck,
Proverbs 1:8-9

~~~~~~

Perhaps your mother was one who did such teaching. Perhaps she was a Beaver Cleaver type. Perhaps she was just trying to keep it all together in a tough marriage. Perhaps she raised you as a single parent. Perhaps you got another mom when you married that took you under her wing as her own. Whatever the case may be for each of you, I know there were women strong in your instruction who blessed you. They are our 'mothers' as well. Give thanks for them all!

In my case, I had a female high school teacher that believed in me and gave me chances to shine. I had a grandmother we dubbed as 'mean grandma' that was nothing of the title. And my own mother, in spite of her circumstances, fought for ways to get me a chance to go to college. These women presented me opportunities against many odds to stretch myself and grow.

No comments: