Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thistles








Depending on where thistles are found they are poisoned, dug up, cursed, or admired. These were not in my front yard, and I found them exceedingly beautiful. The whole ridge of thistles afforded a periwinkle invitation to the beautiful pastoral scene beyond.

As I began to take my focus from the crowd to the single thistles I found each to be very different from the other. I don't think I have ever seen two entwined thistles like the couple in the second photograph. I have rarely seen thistles with white centers like the first and last. But I am often drawn to photograph the bees, bugs, and butterflies that find them irresistible.

It is fun to watch the stages of flowers in the field as they speak of the miracles and mysteries of God's creation. Even if they are but thistles, they have their 'day' before they are gone. Though they are small, we can see God's hand in the masterpiece of each one.

~~~

When you send your Spirit, they are created,
and you renew the face of the earth.
Ps. 104:30

No comments: