Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pinkies



Yesterday morning at our Ladies Tea my friend was coaching my granddaughter on how to hold the pinky finger up as you sip your tea. It started me thinking about how traditions and heirlooms are passed on in so many ways. The tea cups were passed on to us by my husband's grandparents. I have used them so many times for special events. My granddaughter remembered drinking from them at other times.

Sometimes, because of favorite stories or patterns, the children will set the tradition instead of the parents. For example, my grandson always has to sit in the chair with my husband and read "Bear and Mrs. Duck." Likewise, on family night, both grandkids think they got robbed if they don't get to take a bath in Gram's big tub. We have all sorts of games we play with their bin of bath toys.

Recently, both grandchildren told their mother, before coming over to go on the most recent train ride, that they needed snacks to take with them. She questioned that necessity. They informed her that there were tables on the train, and we "always" ate snacks on our way into and returning from the big city.

Passing on lovely traditions, and making new ones, is a sure way to make wonderful memories. They are part of our inheritance as much as any tangible thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children.
Proverbs 13:22

No comments: