Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ears to Hear





On the same day the bear came in the afternoon to the cabin, 'Little' came to visit in the morning. She is the matriarch of several generations that I have gotten to know on the mountain. This morning I got the news that she became a grandmother by her daughter, Amber. The bottom picture is one I took of 'Little' and 'Amber' several years ago. The top two are of 'Little' resting underneath my bedroom window on my recent trip.

The new birth happened quite early this morning. My friends heard screeching and got up to see what the noise was all about. What their ears had picked up was the birthing of Amber's fawn. Amber and Little protectively surrounded the new babe in her first moments of disorientation and trying out her new legs. Soon papa 'Buckybuck' came to see the fawn. He and Amber nuzzled necks and touched mouths. Can you imagine seeing that sight?

My friend called me with the news and asked if 'Aunty C' might have a suggestion for the name. I thought awhile and called her back. There is a phrase in French, "Chez Nous", that means 'at our place' or literally, 'WITH US'. She was born at their house. Chez Nous (pronounced 'shay new') seemed a perfect name, because God is WITH US, Emmanuel.

I am in love with Little's ears. She can turn them forwards or backwards to hone in on sounds. They are incredible. I am glad God gave Les and Dale ears to hear this morning so they would be able to witness this new creature's first moments on the mountain. I am so grateful to be able to experience the generations of deer, fox, and other wildlife right in their yard when I go there to visit.

~~~

Then shall the righteous shine forth
as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Matthew 13:43

No comments: