Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fly Away








There is something about seeing a bird in flight that speaks to my soul. It represents freedom, a lifting up, an escaping to a place of beauty and safety. I even feel the muscles at my shoulders ache to fly across the sky as the birds. I fly often in my dreams, sometimes to escape danger and other times to go to a destination of beauty that I have visited in my travels. I often find myself in my dreams in the front of the cabin up on Evergreen Mountain visiting the foxes, deer, elk, birds, (sometimes a bear!) that frequent the view out of the picture window onto the driveway.

The first photo is of the birds at the spillway off Evergreen Lake. The last is of the blue swallow that lives in the house on the fence looking onto Mt. Evans. The middle four are in Nebraska: a hawk, red-winged blackbird, vulture, and goose.

I think David had prayer in mind as I read Psalm 25:1:

Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
~~~

Again, he repeats the idea of lifting up or flying away to the Lord, a safe haven, in Psalm 55:

Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest~~~

~~~~~

Fly away in some prayer today...you can trust the One who waits for you there. Your spiritual wings of faith can take you to resting in the Lord.

No comments: