Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's in a Word?




How powerful can just a 5-letter word be? If it is PEACE or GRACE it can be powerful, indeed. Just making these banners for my church last week strengthened me to get through this past week. I meditated often on how Jesus told his disciples that he was leaving HIS PEACE with them when he left, and would send a comforter to remind them of everything He said to them. They would not be alone.

Because of his intercession for us and his death on the cross, we are under Grace. I have been able to extend that grace in some very difficult circumstances only because of the power in me given spiritually by the Holy Ghost. I make lots of mistakes, but I know perfection is not attainable. It is running the race set before me knowing I am not alone, even when everything in me is screaming that I am alone, that counts at the end of the day. The extension of peace and grace is the calling we have to be salt and light. I fall short, but nonetheless, I have a heart for God and I know He has one for me.

So much legalism is mingled with grace in most churches that the meaning of the cross is lost. I will never be able to attain perfection in the law. But I know I am blessed because grace is freely given. I am free indeed, because the Son set me free. I put myself back in jail, and return to slavery when I don't believe that I am a cherished child of God. That is a very cherished residence when you have come from a background of unsafe or abusive relationships. I don't know about you, but I still find myself in situations and relationships where I know I am not safe. Being able to call out "Abba, Father" and know that PAPA means you no harm but instead has a future and a hope, is the light that shines in the darkness. Abba, Peace, Grace, Hope....what's in words like those??? Life and light from Our Heavenly Father. A safe place where peace and grace abound. Under his wings, being the apple of his eye. I need to encourage myself with those truths and let the Holy Spirit be heard in ministry of remembrance of what Jesus told his disciples. He is an ever present comforter in the midst of any circumstance. It doesn't mean we won't have trouble, but that we will not be alone.

I love the final greetings and beginning greetings of 2 Corinthians and Galatians...

,,,the God of love and peace will be with you...
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all...

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: