Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Four-Letter Word



W A I T , a four-letter word

Wait in line, wait in traffic, wait your turn, wait for healing, wait for the money, wait for supper, wait until it's time. Waiting and its cousin 'patience' are not easy things for me. But I know the very thing I hate sometimes produces a fruitful, good thing.

...we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,
whom he has given us.
Romans 5:3-6 NIV

~~~~~

I was chasing this red flying bug around, trying not to slip on rocks or into ponds. It seemed quite large, but was so fast that I couldn't get a focus on it to decide exactly what I was seeing. The fruitless chase became very frustrating. Then I decided to just BE STILL, as though the Holy Spirit had finally gotten my attention with the loving suggestion. Then I began to notice that it periodically returned to rest on one particular plant. Aha! Instead of running around like a crazy person, focus on the plant and get the photograph as soon as it lands there again. Thank you, God! WAIT, PATIENCE, BE STILL!

That four-letter word, in practice, got me the prize!

~~~~

If we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
Romans 8:25 NIV

No comments: