Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When life gives you lemons...




We've all heard the advice to make lemonade when life has given you lemons. My adjunct is... when Texas gives you a cold and rainy day, make a spice cake to have in front of a fire after a nice dinner with your husband.

We have been waiting forever to get some rain. We so desperately need it because of the drought. Once it finally comes I hear complaining on all sides today about how cold it is, and how dismal the weather is, and how the traffic is wacky on wet roads, and how...well, you get the picture. It is easy for me to catch the train to a depressed attitude. Time to take some action!

I have been sort of hanging with the theme of waiting. While we are waiting for something (such as, in my case, the wildflowers to bloom in Texas) we need to take some action right where we are. I have heard that happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel.

Today, while the skies were overcast and the rain was falling, it seemed a perfect time to go visit a friend who is recovering from knee surgery. Getting out of yourself and doing something for someone else is always a good way to avoid going down the road of self-pity.

When I got home I thought it might be nice to take a winter's nap. But I thought it would be BETTER to get a spice cake in the oven for desert. I juiced some carrots and apples for a healthy afternoon snack. I saved the pulp and added it to the batter, along with some raisins. The house had a glorious warm aroma of sweet spices when my husband came home. All in all, a nice way to end a rainy day.

~~~~

Ye shall offer up a cake...
Numbers 15:20

No comments: