Sunday, April 18, 2010

Boundaries





'Boundary' is an interesting word. It infers a line or limit of some kind. A dividing line of territory between countries would be a boundary. Acceptable behavior might be considered a boundary.

Certainly, much of my life has been about learning and holding healthy boundaries. However, some of my best 'living' has been getting courage to go outside the lines; go farther than my predecessors in education or travels or ventures. Some of those feats were because of courage given to me by mentors and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

I am thinking especially of a friend who is very close to 'crossing the Jordan' that afforded me the opportunity to visit France several times while he lived there. I learned so much from being able to experience a foreign country, especially through the wit and expertise of my friend and travel guide, Jim. We saw many miles of beautiful French gardens and vineyards and ate many beautiful meals with a side of some mysterious vegetable puree full of butter, usually followed by a brilliant chocolate creation for dessert. My cup and my portion, my boundaries, have been stretched in beauty because of his generosity. I bless him in his journey to the land even more beautiful than any we have seen or dreamed.

~~~

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Ps. 16:6

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave.
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Ps. 16:9-11

No comments: