Thursday, July 3, 2008

Loopy in the lupines






I'm back from Idaho, having covered 2,000 miles in the rental car. It was an amazing trip. We decided, with guidance from a friend at church, to go there for vacation. She gave us her personal map, marked with 'must see's' throughout the state. I am so grateful to have a nice digital camera that allowed me to bring home only 350 pictures to download, instead of waiting to see 600 and having to get them all developed to see what I got on film. Those blurs of birds and moose can immediately go away.

My husband says it is really unfair that I got to experience the wildflower season in three states this spring and summer: Texas, Colorado, and Idaho. The variety and colors were breathtaking on the mountains and spread across the valleys of Idaho. This state is a hidden treasure. We decided to take the road less traveled, and found ourselves seldom on the road with another car. While the crowds were at Yellowstone and Glacier, we were nearly by ourselves driving through incredible beauty.

We also found ourselves without signal on the cell phones a major part of the trip. That was a little disconcerting when we found ourselves at the edge of deep canyons with not another person in sight; or along a high winding tiny forest road when we were warned by the sign, 'Grizzly Bear Habitat!' We didn't turn on the car radio during most of the trip...we just talked and took in the beauty that uncovered itself along the way. Sometimes, it seemed like an hour had passed, and all we said was "WOW" or "THANK YOU JESUS!" or took a big deep inhale of the smell of forest or flowers and exhaled "AAAHHHHH!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name
in all the earth!
Psalm 8:1

4 comments:

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

What gorgeous photos! It sounds like you had a marvelous time!

Connie said...

Sherrinda, it was the best trip ever! Really good for us. Come see the rest of the pictures...there is no way I can post but a small part of what we saw!

Missy said...

I was just introduced to lupines this past year, but never have I seen such a sight! Are you standing or sitting there? You look so joyful!

Connie said...

I am sitting down in the middle of the patch. They smelled divine and were such varied colors. I was tempted to take one hundred pictures of all the color variations. I'm sure I will go there in my dreams or when I need to think about something pleasant!