Monday, August 11, 2008

Bones of a Saguaro





I was captivated by the shapes and heights of the saguaro. It can reach 50 feet and weigh 9 tons, and may live more than 200 years. The saguaro is protected by the state of Arizona. You can begin to see the size potential in perspective with my mother standing next to one that by no means was the largest we encountered. Pretty amazing!

My uncle had the 'bones' of one hanging in his front hallway. The spine, or backbone, without the flesh, is quite beautiful.
I wondered what the hillside would look like if I could just see a valley of dry saguaro bones. What sculptures they would be!
The creativity of the master is more than skin deep.






An encouragement to another person is received more than skin deep, being savored by the soul perhaps to the very healing of the bones. I know first hand that two teachers in high school telling me that I could succeed and giving me chances to do so changed the path of my life.
~~~~~~~~~~


Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul
and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

No comments: