Thursday, December 18, 2008

Deer Envy





Okay, so right off the bat, I confess that this entry is going to be a bit different from my others. I am exposing a childlike side of myself that you may think is crazy. A few of my close friends know about it, but not a lot of other folks do. I get really strong personalities exuding from stuffed animals. I think God reveals things about the heart through what He shows me in the Spirit about these individual creations of fabric. The lessons are really about all our heart issues as human beings.

I found this sad little guy at the Goodwill store today while looking for a few baskets to fill up with goodies. The poor little stuffed toy seemed to want to be something other than a bear. He had a tiny hat of reindeer antlers on, and was posing, quite sadly, as something other than what he was created to be. Look at him...he is not smiling. He has sad eyes, but note his tender pink heart. I doubt that the cause for the antler headdress was a celebrating of winter or Christmas season. He must have come to the conclusion that it was better to be a deer than a bear. Somewhere along the way he was tossed out and ended up in the second hand store. He had developed deer envy.

Well, I love bears, so he was in the right place at the right time. My heart warmed as to a stray puppy, and I took him home. I hope his smile will come back, and he will rediscover the wonder of being a bear. He will delight in the things a bear can accomplish that a deer cannot. After all, he has yet to learn how to fish in rushing waters, or the great and awesome task of hibernating through the winter months, or climbing a tree. Deer can't do those things.

I guess my point is about how God creates all of us, and puts gifts differing in each one. Sometimes a friend will say to me, "Is there anything you can't do?" Oh my, let me make you a list! Keeping a spotless house is not one. Investment banking is not one. Anything that takes a LONG TIME is probably not on the list, either. Left brain and patience are not areas where my strengths abound. And frankly I hate the assignment of having to call people on the phone to try to get them to do something. But what is a task for me is a breeze for someone else who is gifted in that area. Why are we envious of each others gifts? Don't we know that God made us a Kingdom quilt, with need of all to work together to bring forth God's full glory?

Going up to strangers and talking to them about Jesus is my Colorado friend's gift. I am amazed to see her hand out baked goodies to strangers and pray for them. She is out there doing the love legwork of ministering to the whole community the love of Christ. I could sing to them about Him, or show them a photograph and tell the story of how God revealed himself in it. I am fitted by the Creator to minister through different giftings. I am a unique snowflake. Yes, a little flakey at times, but one of a kind.

~~~~~~~~~

Be imitators of God...as dearly loved children, and live a life of love...as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Eph. 5:1-2

~~~~~~~~~~

So God, show me how to be love to everyone I see through the unique ways you made me to serve the Body.

4 comments:

karen said...

I think that lil' bear is smilin'!

Connie said...

I wrapped him up in some joy, hope, comfort, and love. He can't help it! The little corners are starting to turn up.

Anonymous said...

I gave my oldest son a big ole orangutan with bunny ears one year for Easter ... that monkey wanted to be the Easter Bunny ... it was so cute and endearing and I laughed my face off at it! Your teddy is hoping Santa will pick him to help pull his sleigh this year! If he comes up missing on Christmas Eve ... you'll know where he is, but he'll be back once the joy, peace and love of the Season has been spread around the world and the gift of God ... thanks to the help of a small, fuzzy teddy bear with big dreams and lofty hopes for everyone to have a very Merry Christmas!

One year when I was in grade school, my Christmas wish was for a blue and white teddy bear and on Christmas morning ... there it sat on a chair just waiting for me! It was the best Christmas ever!

May your days be merry and bright this blessed Christmas Season! Thanks be to God for getting us through another year!

Hugs ... Ms. Marcia

Connie said...

very sweet, Marcia...you are a good storyteller!

Friends gave me a fox hat which I wear occasionally around the house. My Colorado friends scared the custard out of me wearing a bear hat one dark night on the mountain. Oh, the hat stories I could tell!

Merry CHRISTmas, dear one