Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hallelujah Chorus



Last night, due to generous tickets from some friends, we got to experience Handel's Messiah at Bass Hall in Ft. Worth. It was a special treat for me because of a memory from high school...

I grew up in a small (around 200 people) town in western Nebraska. In high school I was part of a madrigal singing group of 8 members. My music teacher and Spanish teacher, who met at this K-12 one-building school as teachers, fell in love and began making marriage plans. They asked if the madrigal members might give up their Christmas Eve to sing the Hallelujah Chorus a capella at their wedding ceremony. We all agreed. It meant lots of extra practice, but the challenge was exhilarating.

On that Christmas Eve the church was filled with candles and red poinsettias. 'Gorgeous' was not a word close to describing it. The sanctuary was stunning! It was a transcendent, powerful experience to sing the piece with only 8 voices and no instruments. Every note is still there in my spirit, and the power of the words blesses me so every time I get to hear or sing it.

~~~~~~~~

Hallelujah! The Lord God Omnipotent reigneth. The kingdom of this world is become the kingdom of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign forever and ever. King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

karen said...

How awesome!
Wish you'd have been at Bass singing with us that one year. The work was hard then, too (as you might imagine with a fleshly worship leader), but the results were exhilarating.
God makes everything we do for Him rewarding and...easy.

Connie said...

I WAS singing with you. I knew all the words, was in the front row, and was facing the other direction! Sometimes the yoke does not seem easy, nor the burden light. But perseverance in the race ends in God's glory,YES?!!!!!

karen said...

"I WAS singing with you. I knew all the words, was in the front row, and was facing the other direction!"
"But perseverance in the race ends in God's glory,YES?!!!!!"

True dat!!!