Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hurry and Flurry





The days are slipping away before Christmas, and so much yet to accomplish. Even with the bad economy, the threat of very cold weather in a few days has gotten everyone out to get the shopping done. Navigating out in the crowds and finding a place to park can sometimes be overwhelming. Other times it can be exhilarating, especially for the bargain hunter in me!

The pictures above were taken in Macy's in New York at Christmas. I remember the hoards of people sifting through crowded aisles and stuffed displays. I still have the two blouses I got marked down to ten bucks. I remember the beautiful decorations and the frazzled clerks. I remember most of all the crazy pace and being carried along in the swift current of people.

I also remember talking briefly to a young woman while I was in Central Park. She told me she loved living in the hurry and flurry of NYC, but sometimes she just had to get out of the city. I have been to NYC twice, and know that I couldn't live there. The pace is grueling and the song is right...the city that never sleeps. I gotta sleep, and gotta get away from the madding crowds. Though I live in a Metroplex, I have the calling of the wild to escape to the country and the wildlife.

I have found the key to holiday shopping is in looking at my expectations and preparations. If I have gone out being flexible and rested, I can remember and accomplish most things on my list. It depends on whether my introvert side has reached its limits. Yes, I said introvert. I can only be around lots of people for just so long. Then I run home to get re-energized.

The Holy Spirit has shown me that in the middle of chaos I can go home. I need to remember whose I am and repeat...BE STILL! It works even in a crowded room to slip away to Papa and breathe deeply. It works in a stressful checkout line to reach out and smile at someone or talk to a stranger. It works to give somebody each year a gift that doesn't expect one. It works to go get a tag off an Angel Tree. It works to spend an evening during the rush season with just one other couple eating a healthy meal together and playing a game afterwards. It works making cookies and putting sprinkles on top of frosting with your grandchildren. It works to keep it simple.

Though Jesus talked to thousands on hillsides, He knew he had to get away to spend time with the Father. He knew how to spot the one in the crowd that needed a healing touch or a bit of conversation. And He certainly knew how to get together enough food or wine for a big crowd. HA! HA! He knew the BE STILL balance that comes with being the servant to others but taking oneself back to the Father for restoration.

~~~~~
That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus...sick, demon-possessed...the whole town gathered at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases...

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 1:32-35

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Connie! Great shot of that full moon ... it looks bright even in your photo! It is snowing up here in CO like crazy ... my Pastor called a "snow day" today ... Whew! I'm glad I don't have to be out in this. This wasn't suppose to hit us until this afternoon ... so it's kind of a surprise this morning!

I love your reference to the "be still" ... the first time I ever read the "be still and know that I am God" scripture just sent chills through me because it simply hit home. What a wonderous thing to have simple words fill us with so much peace ... a peace that passes all understanding!

Again, thank you for such a delightful blog sight! Hugs ... Ms. Marcia

Connie said...

Marcia,
I was drawn outside this morning to see the day version of the moon and was delighted with a spectacular sky.
My mother lives in the panhandle of Nebraska and is snowed and frozen inside today also.
Be safe today, and enjoy the Mother Nature show!