Sunday, April 5, 2009

For a Future Generation





Traditions in our household are developed sometimes quite by accident. We are told by our children that something has become a tradition when they like something new. I think this habit of mine has now become a tradition for a future generation. The habit? Going to garage sales during season and collecting little special things for the grandchildren to discover when they come for family night, usually Sunday evenings.

My heart is full of the knowledge that there will be a new granddaughter arriving in August. She has her own stash, through her mother's heart, to collect her little pile of three pairs of shoes this evening. My oldest granddaughter, who is 6, will find a new baby in her carrier to mother alongside her aunt and new cousin. Of course, can't forget about the shoes. For my grandson, who will be a guitar player among other talents, got an electric guitar and a notebook to practice letters and write down stories and perhaps lyrics to songs!

Even though they will not have me forever, they will have no doubt that I poured love into future generations. They will hopefully remember rushing in to find out what treasures I found them. And I will remember the squeals of delight and the hugs.

~~~

Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not yet created may praise the Lord...
Psalm 102:18

No comments: