Friday, April 17, 2009

Hope and Restoration







Sometimes out of nowhere (yeah, right) I get an overwhelming pull to run outside to check on what the skies are doing. It was late afternoon, and not time for sunset colors, but what greeted me was just what I needed. The sky was changing quickly with rays of sunlight spreading across the sky. Just as soon as I thought I had photographed the most intense contrast, God would show me something more staggeringly beautiful.

I cannot help but describe such streaming lines of light as rays of hope. Coming out of the dense darkness, they speak of keeping faith and persevering through tough circumstances. In the thick clouds I could not see the sun, but knew the Son was there, nonetheless. In the top photo you can actually see the sun. I felt a little like Thomas in that, when I finally did see the source of light, I had to really look to believe it was the Son/sun.

Again, I thought that had capped off what I was supposed to have retrieved through the lens. As I turned to enter my front door, movement in the sky provoked a quick turn to see 7 egrets flying overhead. Photographing one is cool, but seven?! I thought it was so delightful that God would finish out the rays of hope with the seven white birds. To me they represented the sevenfold restoring of what the thief has taken from us.

~~~~~

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
James 1:17-18

Do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded...for in just a very little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay. But my righteous one will live by faith.
Hebrews 10:35-38

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see...by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
Hebrews 11:1-3

No comments: