Sunday, April 19, 2009

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee







As we sang this hymn at church this morning I was anticipating a glorious afternoon of wildflower hiking. We were not disappointed. The recent rains brought forth a new breath of color across the fields. I could not put the words together to describe being there any better than the very first verse of the song we had sung this morning. My heart was about to beat out of my chest with gladness and adoration for the Father of love. Let our hearts, indeed, unfold before Him!

These words came back to me again in the middle of the sea of color:

Joyful, joyful, we adore thee,
God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flowers before thee,
Opening to the sun above.
(words: Henry Van Dyke,
Arr. Beethoven to Hymn To Joy)

2 comments:

Missy said...

WOW!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I truly needed this beautiful vision of home today )both the flowers and YOU) - it truly brings me joy.

Connie said...

Missy,
It was hard to contain myself and not just run wildly through the fields. But there were signs posted and rules, so had to enjoy the flowers from the path. Won't it be wonderful when we can run through them with reckless abandon and jubilation in heaven?

It was truly a spiritual experience to be in the middle of such wild beauty! God will not be contained. He is wild beauty, too, eh?