Thursday, June 10, 2010

Memorable Marmots






It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a child-like, "What's next, Papa?" God's spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us~~an unbelievable inheritance!
Romans 8:16-17
THE MESSAGE

~~~~~~~~

This passage really puts into focus the way my friend Lessy and I travel through Colorado. We make a loose plan, but we are also very flexible to take a different road. We often change with the nudging of the Holy Spirit to a different plan or route. We know God has divine appointments for us. His best for us. Our plans would have us settle for less than what He had in store for us.

Getting prepared for this last trip, I began hoping to see bear and moose. They are my favorite, besides the deer and fox that I have come to identify and revisit on the mountain. I am ecstatic to say that the most delightful wildlife I saw on this trip turned out to be a few hilarious marmots.

I saw my first marmots a few years ago. Never having known of them before, I thought perhaps that they were beavers. But I knew the tail wasn't right and couldn't see any water in sight. Then I thought they were a type of gigantic prehistoric squirrel. Then I saw a picture and description on a wildlife sign posted near a trailhead. Alas, I knew they were marmots.

The first family of marmots Lessy and I encountered was crossing the road near Kebler Pass. They seemed to be in a mood to stop and chat, and were not in any hurry to get out of harm's way. As we tried to get them out of the road, the last little guy lifted his back foot and finally scooted to safety. We giggled about how funny he was.

Our second encounter was with a family just off the trail around Maroon Lake as we walked towards the Maroon Bells. The male peeked out of the den. We talked to him, and he decided we were safe and he was a little curious to pursue further conversation. He looked back down the den as if to say to his mate, "I'll be right back. There are a few nice women out here that stopped by to chat. Don't worry...they mean us no harm. They are quite funny looking!"

Mr. Marmot came out near us as a leaf shadow marked his side. He gave us a profile, then turned as if to say, "Get this full face shot, too. I am quite handsome, yes?"

So, of all the wildlife we saw on this trip, the marmots gave us delightful memories. We giggled remembering the funny way the little guy got out of the road. We were tickled to see the marmot pose for photos. Would I have picked a marmot on my list of must-see's on this last trip? No. But I'm glad God did!

No comments: