Sunday, April 17, 2011

Surprise, Surprise





We were fortunate to get our tasks done early on Saturday and got an early afternoon start to go down to Ennis to drive some of the Bluebonnet Trails. The closer we got we could see that the bluebonnets were not past their prime as the patches in DFW, and the Indian paintbrush and primrose were also well represented.

I have been a wildflower freak all my life, so when I find one I haven't seen before in my travels I am quite surprised. My first surprise was a small orange flower amongst thick bluebonnets. From my picture research in a Texas wildflowers book I believe it to be a flameflower. The deep blue and orange together was glorious.

The second surprise was a fairly big flower in a ditch alongside a huge field of bluebonnets. It seemed to be the only one. It reminded me of a wild onion or garlic type bulb configuration. The main flower was about 5 inches, and the stem extending upwards was another 3 or 4 inches. It was quite spectacular.

The third was a completely white bluebonnet. I had seen very pale blue ones in previous years, but this was my first time seeing a pure white bluebonnet. I got a smile in the spirit of seeing a flower at Easter appearing white as snow.

When we decided to go to Ennis I thought that we had traveled the trails so often that we would see pretty much the same scenes and flowers as we have in the past. The interesting hitch was that, by following a few garage sale signs in search of something cute to sit in the flowers, we found ourselves on some roads that were not marked as part of the trail. We found a few wonderful surprises and actually found a ski helmet for me at one of the sales for only 5 bucks. God is good all the time!
~~~~~~~

Acknowledge Him in all ways and He will direct your path.

No comments: