Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Deep Roots





On New Year's Eve day we took our daughter's family on a train ride from the Ft. Worth Stockyards south along the Trinity River. The views of the skyline were wonderful as well as the Trinity and its banks. One particular tree got my attention. I am always reminded when I see a single tree by water that a wise and righteous man who meditates on God's teachings is like a well-watered, healthy tree. The deep roots can withstand powerful winds. There have been a few of those powerful winds even to tornadic forces in Ft. Worth in recent years.

We know that a tree that gets stress from its environment develops deep roots in order to be strong enough to withstand powers that might uproot it. As humans, things that challenge us build our character and strength to persevere. We then have hope, and with hope all things are possible.

~~~~~~

...just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live in him,
rooted and built up in him...
Colossians 2:6-7

5 comments:

Missy said...

It's funny to say, from almost 2,000 miles away - but I know that tree! I was born just blocks from it. Beautiful thoughts on a beautiful Fort Worth day. Blessings to you, Connie!

Connie said...

Hey! How cool is that!
I am posting another right behind this one, because the Trinity was so stunning that day!
May your year and family be blessed as well!

I am off to Utah this weekend to ski in the cold. Have worked hard to be stronger, so hope it goes well! Will not be taking my camera, believe it or not!

Chris C said...

That's why if you start seeds inside you are supposed to wiggle them or blow a fan on them because if they are babied too much inside, when they get out in the "real world" they just fall over. The trick in life is being thankful for God helping us deepen our roots and strengthenour branches. Then, in the next storm, we're able to withstand it better!

Connie said...

Absolutely! Can't say I am crazy about being wiggled and blown on by the world, but it has made me stronger and given me a testimony!

Anonymous said...

These have great color and contrast!!