Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Color is Your Road?



When I made the jump from the bunny slopes and an afternoon lesson up to the real trails and slopes higher on the mountains, I was amazed at the difference between a green and a blue interpretation. Unfortunately, the only way to the greens from the gondola at Deer Mountain was a single blue run. I was petrified, but managed to not take my boots off and walk down. My legs were so tired from a snow plow that I was worn out by the time I got to something more manageable. The second time I did the same section in half the time. The repetition and previous success helped me have the courage to try it again. It wasn't nearly as intimidating with the first time down it done successfully. But I also listened to the wisdom of stopping when I was too tired so I would not get injured. Resting, eating, and drinking were important parts of being able to sustain energy for the roads ahead.

I found myself, after having conquered particularly steep sections of green runs, looking back at the difficulty behind me and thanking God for giving me the courage to persevere. Before the last day was spent I was getting up some speed and enjoying myself. I recall becoming aware of a broad smile and giggles generated from that deep place within. One turn at a time, and keeping focused on where I wanted to go instead of looking at my feet, was the key to letting go and beginning to really enjoy the experience. I was keeping my eyes on the prize by leaning into the experience instead of resisting it. I can tell you I have lots of joy in pursuing my desire to get better instead of giving up. I have gotten on blues by mistake, but may get on some 'on purpose' next year.

My husband has told me that he is excited that I want to keep improving my skiing. He tells me that some places you get to see on the blue runs are breathtaking. My friend Erin told me that she saw four moose walking down one of the runs at The Canyons. Telling a photographer things like that can only spur me on to continue my physical training and return to take steeper roads of new colors. Count me out for the double blacks and moguls, at least for a few years. (c;

I think of the double black road that Jesus took on purpose for all of us.
~~~~~~~~
...wide is the gate and broad is the road
that leads to destruction
...small is the gate and narrow the road
that leads to life...
Matt. 7:13-14

No comments: