Thursday, January 8, 2009

Looking Back



I took this picture of the sunset on Christmas evening while we were traveling to Nebraska. The sunset is reflected in the mirror and onto the side of the car. It came out much better than I thought it would.

Isn't that the way it is with so many times in our past? It came out much better than we thought it would? When I look back at the times in my life when I was in crisis, I began to learn that a crisis is an invitation to make a decision. A crisis usually has the gift of choosing a life road or one that leads instead to staying in captivity and under a stronghold. It usually means total surrender to God to do it a different way. Then putting on the tennis shoes to get moving into a new, healthier direction is how we respond to God's leading. It has been that way for me in walks of abuse, addiction, cancer, and assorted woundings and broken hearts that life sends to all of us.

Some of my favorite verses on the subject of how things work out...

Acknowledge Him in all ways and He will direct your path.

All things work together for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose.

I have plans to give you hope and a future.

I couldn't see what you had done from beginning to end.

I'm prepared to give an answer for my hope.
~~~~
Why do I continue to have hope? Because I have learned that God is trustworthy. Ask Him...stay or go, do or don't do, speak or be quiet. I bet He has an answer! Yes, No, Wait, Rest, Prepare...not always just two choices.

~~~~~~~~

For you see, looking back, I can see how God was there all along, on every byway, shortcut, long way around. There is no place I can go that He is not reflected in the rear view mirror, or waiting for me around the next corner, and present in the gift of every breath and heartbeat. I am not abandoned. Looking back or looking forward, my adoption is signed, sealed, and delivered. My traveling companion never sleeps.

No comments: