Saturday, January 3, 2009

His Goodness Continues







After living through newborn babies, tight budgets, adolescents and teenagers, it is a wonder we have any money or energy left when our children finally leave the nest. Then the amazing thing happens...your children have children of their own. Our younger daughter has Charlie and Faith, and now our older daughter Amy is pregnant with our third grandchild!!! It is amazing how looking forward to a new generation that energy and courage are restored!

I asked one of my daughters if she could believe I went downhill head first with Faith on my back. Remembering that I took a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon not too long ago, she replied that she just didn't know who I was anymore. My fear of heights is virtually gone and my risk taking is increasing. It is true that God restores our youth again when seen through grandchildren and knowing life is limited. It is time to reckon with getting the gusto out of life...to get out there and do new things, going deeper in walks of faith and courage... and take some new roads. Be brave! Take courage! Go forth with living and loving abundantly!

But the other side of the road less traveled is the road of lovely traditions that have been traveled joyfully with expectancy in previous generations, and now are being passed on to the next. What a smile it brought to our faces to see Charlie get great satisfaction from splashing through a puddle, and later standing by the great snowman he and his mother built. It was so wonderful to watch Aunty Karen have the advent calender ready to decorate by the grandkids. She also had a gingerbread house ready to make beautiful with candies and frostings. Then came the sugar cookies to frost and decorate. The passing of the traditions spoke to me of how God's goodness continues, and how wonderful it is to see the generations be able to share such celebrations with each other.
~~~~~

He satisfies me with good things and makes me young again, like the eagle.
Ps. 103:5

But the LORD's love for those who respect him continues forever and ever,
and his goodness continues to their grandchildren...
Ps. 103:17

No comments: