Friday, January 2, 2009

Got Your Back








We drove into Crete on streets of ice on Christmas Day. The next morning, the icing on the cake, was that the hilly yard was covered with snow. The neighbors graciously loaned us some discs to do some front yard sledding. We bundled up with boots and mittens to experience the wonderful white stuff of the North. Oh, what giggles and gaffs as we discovered and rediscovered the joys of playing in the snow!

Our grandbabies, native Texans, rarely get to experience snow. They were wild-eyed and unstoppable as we found different places and ways to take off. It was interesting to watch the dynamics of having each others' backs. Someone needed to be at the top to launch the rider with a push. If tandem, the back rider needed to hold on tight! If steep, as the Doane Campus hill was, there needed to be catchers at the bottom so the sledders didn't end up in the creek just past the mud and melting snow at the end of the run.

As one section of front yard was losing quality, we began to scope out other possibilities. One such hill looked to be promising, but the ice on top crunched with weight and left the sledder (me) stranded. My grandson, Charlie, had my back and came down to give me a little push. I will never forget the love and grace of that moment. As well, I will not forget the joy of Faith holding on tight as I steered head first down the hill with her on my back.

It is good in life to know somebody has got your back. There are those devastating times, even with close family, that it is apparent no one does. It is also heartbreaking in a saving grace sort of way when you realize someone has shown up and said,
"YOU ARE WORTH IT!" and has got your back. They have seen you are beaten up, or headed for a crash, or abandoned; and they show up to right your rudder, to give you a nudge, to catch you when you are speeding out of control, to just surround you with a big hug.

God has his arms around us. He always says "YOU ARE WORTH IT!" Jesus died for us, every one of us, when we were yet sinners, when we were yet to be born. He gives us pushes and nudges, He invites us to experience the fullness of life. He wants us to hold on tight as he steers. He catches us at the bottom of hills. He is in control even when we are out of control. And Jesus knows, more than anyone ever in human skin, what it is to not have anyone have your back. Or to expose your back to lashing by all humanity in the name of love. The good news?...

We can trust Him...He is trustworthy. He has our backs... He wants our hearts. He is crazy about each one of His kids!
~~~~~~~~

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear; what can man do unto me? Ps. 118:6

The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation. Ps. 118:14

The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. Ps. 116:6

He will bless them that fear the LORD, both small and great. The LORD shall increase you more and more, you and your children. Ye are blessed of the LORD which made heaven and earth. Ps. 115:13-15

It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. Ps. 118:8

2 comments:

karen said...

I gotcher back, too.

Connie said...

and I have been greatly ministered to because you do!