Friday, January 9, 2009

Which Pain?





I have heard that we all suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. I regretted that I was not in good enough shape last January to embark upon a ski trip after a 25 year gap. I have worked hard to change exercise and eating and will be going again next week. I will have different results because I was willing to choose the pain of discipline.

I am sure during the recent trip to Nebraska that I would not have had the courage to slide down the hill with my grandson in front of me, or go headfirst with my granddaughter on my back, had I not felt confident in my strength. I had a wonderful time because I was able to participate fully in the outdoor activities. The commitment and follow through with diet and exercise made the difference in being prepared to throw myself fully into the fun, and literally down a hill on a little disc of plastic. It was outrageous fun and heavenly joy.

Today I learned some new things about some dietary issues that will require a narrow road. I also revisited a nutritional issue that I ignored, but am now ready to deal with again. I am willing to try harder things because I have caused my body harm by wanting an easier way to get rid of the problem. I was led, I believe by the Holy Spirit, to two different people who gave me some encouraging possibilities and am ready to choose the pain of discipline. My mother has the same nutritional complications, and we are able to encourage each other to stay the course. She is excited as well to take on the discipline because we want to be healthier. We have things to do, and want to enjoy our lives being as healthy as we can be.
~~~~

No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening~~it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.
Hebrews 12:11

No comments: