Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To the Mountains







Well, I could think of no better scripture to post with these than one of my favorite life verses, Psalm 121

I raise my eyes to the mountains...
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD;
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He does not allow my foot to slip;
my protector does not slumber...
indeed the protector of Israel
does not slumber or sleep.

~~~

I did it! I am home with sore muscles but no broken bones. I am elated that I was able to ski four days. All that preparation was worth it in endurance and strength to keep my legs obeying the messages my brain was sending. My goal was to get better, to gain some speed, and most of all to have fun. The beauty of the mountains filled my spirit. I was able to get my eyes off my feet and keep them on where I was going. I started getting the rhythm and quit working so hard by letting my shoulders turn and knowing the feet would follow.

My amazing husband stayed with me, sometimes in front, sometimes in back, just encouraging me. At one point on the last day I was getting tired but losing myself in the beauty of the rhythm and the scenery. When I stopped to catch my breath, my husband told me to turn around and see the young girl (I would guess around 4 years old) that had been following the exact pattern of my tracks. I didn't realize the path I had been cutting was one deemed attractive enough that a young lass would choose to follow in my trail. I felt like I had melted into the mountain and she had been drawn in to the beauty that called from my spirit in praise of my maker and the world He created for us to enjoy. That little patch of 'follow the leader' down the mountain blessed my socks off! You never know who is watching.

3 comments:

karen said...

Proud of you, sister! You are an inspiration!
Long day here and off to bed, but we'll catch up!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Connie! Looks like you had a really fun-filled time on the slopes! God gives us courage to do things our own weak selves won't even consider! You are a blessing to all of us who read your blog! Hugs!!!

Connie said...

Karen and Marcia,
I am skiing in my dreams without anxiety like the nightmares I had last year. Yes, he gives us courage and successes so that we can have a testimony to encourage others!