Sunday, February 6, 2011

SUPER BOWL SUNRISE




I have found ways around buildings and power lines as I try to capture sunrise and sunset in the city. There are a few sweet spots I can get to in less than five minutes when I realize there is a stunner sky that I need to rush out and capture.

As I was watching the Super Bowl coverage this morning I caught a glimpse of the sunrise taking shape behind the stadium. I didn't want to wake up my husband, so left him a note by the coffee pot that I had gone to take pics of the sunrise. When I returned home he smiled at my get up and said, "I wondered what you wore!" I hadn't wanted to disturb his sleep, so gathered what I could without going into our bedroom. I put on my black shaper tennies I had left under the coffee table and grabbed my fancy long red coat that would keep me warm and discretely cover my short pink and turquoise sleeping shirt. I looked ridiculous, but didn't really care. I just needed to get out of the house quickly and be covered up in case I would be stopped by a police officer at my sweet spot down at the corner.

I used to tell someone that I mentored that she had an assignment to go out and look for good things to blame on God. Sometimes I would slightly change the assignment to report back to me something she had seen that was funny. It was an exercise in positive expectancy. One of the times early in these endeavors she reported back glumly that she wasn't able to find anything funny. We both started laughing, because that was pretty funny in itself.

We have to be willing to train ourselves to receive the mind of Christ. We CAN find a sunrise in the city. We CAN receive the peace that passes all understanding. We CAN have joy in the midst of any circumstance. Our hope is in the One who CAN change hearts and minds.

~~~~

We have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus...faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel.
Colossians 1:4-5

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
1 Peter 1:3

No comments: