Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lesson Through the Lens






I have been craving a time and place to go take pictures. In the sprawling metroplex of clogged highways, there are still a few havens providing peaceful escapes in the midst of the cities. I plan on checking out one tomorrow since the forecast is for higher temperatures. Being in the mid-winter adds another level of frustration of what to photograph. But I have learned that no matter what weather, season, environment, there is a lesson through the lens.

The Holy Spirit reminded me of the business trip with my husband to New Mexico in a dry winter several years ago. I went outside to walk around the hotel area to see what I could see. It became apparent that when there seems to be nothing to photograph, you have to put on a new pair of glasses to see with the mind and heart. I began to see the beauty of the seed pods and dried grasses having given up their seeds for life to begin in the spring. There was a symphony of the generations passing right before my eyes.

It occurred to me when I looked for scripture to match these pictures and my text that what I found is really the basis for my photography blog. The few lines of scripture were perhaps plucked out of context, but shot right to my heart about connecting a picture/scripture/story:

I applied my heart
to what I observed
and learned a lesson
from what I saw.
Proverbs 24:32

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you tie together photography and Our Savior. I think our father has blessed you with some serious skills and a thoughtfullness.
from one amature photographer to another,

In Him,

Kara ****

Connie said...

Kara,
Thank you so much for your encouragement. We so need to lift up each other in the Body! To each is given gifts and we need to let our lights shine for His glory!
<>< c

Anonymous said...

What you see through your heart and your camera lens is totally amazing. Some would look and only see the weeds ... you look and see all the possibilities! If everyone would allow God to open both their hearts and their eyes, what beauty they would behold in the most simple things! As I have said before, you are truly a blessing! Hugs!!!

Connie said...

Marcia,
I get giddy like a child when I am out waiting for God to show me something through the lens. I actually mimicked a cardinal's song this morning and he showed himself as we sang to each other. I will probably post him tomorrow. Perhaps it is in becoming a child that I can see simple beauty that otherwise would go unnoticed.

Be blessed! Hear it is snowing out there again. I think we hit 70 today, but headed for more cold tomorrow.