Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sing a Song!






I had quite a time with the birds in the garden yesterday. They were busy gathering seeds and singing songs. It was a delightful game getting a little closer and catching each of these in a photograph.

In particular, I noted the song of a cardinal near to me. They can be quite elusive, so I peeled my eyes to any dot of red amongst the bare branches. Then I caught a glimpse of him tucked almost entirely behind a large branch high above me. Soon, I heard his song again, sounding to me clearly like, "I am a pretty bird!" He flew to a spot more observable by me, and repeated the proud flirtation. I sang back to him the same notes. He puffed up his proud self, fluttered his wings, and repeated the chorus. At this point I was entirely captivated by his courting antics. I didn't much care if somebody came by hearing me sing a love song to the cardinal, unless they scared him away! They could think me foolish, but I was in a wonderful place of being able to sing a spring duet with a beautiful partner. I raised the camera slowly to my eye, sang to him of his beauty, and got him just as he puffed up.

~~~~~~~

Isn't it wonderful that God gave us languages, but also the creative idea of putting words into rhythms and tones to make songs! Those God-given vocal instruments help us praise, grieve, celebrate, meditate, play, be more fully human and more expressive in loving one another and God.

Some of God's suggestions:

Sing unto the Lord as long as you live...
Sing and give praise...
Sing among the branches...
Sing with the Spirit...
Sing with understanding...
Sing, O Heavens!
Trees of the wood, sing out!
SING FOR JOY!

No comments: