Friday, February 13, 2009

Preparing a Table






My Valentine's Challenge has been such fun. Since we will be watching our grandchildren tomorrow night, we will celebrate this evening going out to dinner. But this morning I got up to a dozen yellow roses from my sweetheart. Awesome, aren't they? I have had a thing for yellow roses since I was little. I remember a wild yellow rose bush growing in the yard of one of the places we lived in western Nebraska out in the country. Give me a yellow rose over a red one any day.

We are having some friends over midday tomorrow. It is their wedding anniversary, and they don't enjoy trying to find a restaurant on the actual day. He loves my soup, so I made a big pot of ham and bean soup this morning to have for lunch tomorrow. It may be just soup, but it feeds the body and spirit. We may get a few games of Mahjongg in before the grandbabies show up.

The tablecloth and napkins I found at an estate sale a few weeks ago. The Italian pottery set for 4 I found for a song at a Goodwill Store about a month ago. It is a little chipped, which I love. The table is inviting, warm, and I hope will make my guests feel especially loved.

I really want to continue this throughout the year, just having one or two couples over at a time for a homemade meal, some real conversation, and perhaps a game of Mahjongg or cards. Old-fashioned, but has the wrappings of provision of a homemade meal and the gift of spending time with loved ones. I think this may be happening all over the country as we refocus on time at home, saving money and health by not gorging on fast food, and connecting with friends with the television OFF; relying on conversation and social skills to be truly present with one another.

I began thinking about how this resonates with the way God prepares a table for us. His provision and His heart are to feed us and to spend time with us. We may be old and chipped, but when we gather to spend time and food, there is beauty in the preparation, the guests, and the Host that speaks of the supernatural forces of love. We are His bride, His beloved.

~~~~

You prepare a table before me...
Psalm 23:5

He has taken me to the banquet hall,
and his banner over me is love.
Strengthen me with raisins,
refresh me with apples,
for I am faint with love.
Song of Songs 2:4-5

No comments: